Saturday, December 18, 2010

Walnut Caramels


Walnut Caramels

This recipe comes from a tea magazine given to me by my neighbor, Jan.  She's a sweet older woman whom I only talk with about twice a year, but she likes giving me food-related things because she knows how much I love it.  I've always wanted to make a good caramel candy, and this recipe seems to work for me.  I think I got second or third place with these at the 2010 Iowa State Fair, but since it wasn't first place, I don't really remember.  I also like making these with almonds and then dipping the bottom half in Dove chocolate (milk or dark, both are fantastic--see pics at the end).  
These really aren't very hard to make, and they keep for quite a while in the fridge.  


Walnut Caramels

Ingredients

  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • ½ cup light corn syrup
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ cup light brown sugar
  • ½ cup butter

  • ¼  cup honey
  • ¼ tsp coarse salt
  • 1 cup walnuts, toasted
  • seeds scraped from a 1-inch segment of vanilla bean pod
Instructions
1. Line an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with non-stick aluminum foil.  Set aside.
2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine cream, corn syrup, sugar, brown sugar, butter, honey, and salt.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often.  Cook without stirring until mixture reaches 240°F.  Remove pan from heat.  Add walnuts and vanilla seeds, stirring well to combine.  Pour into prepared dish, and cover with plastic wrap.
3. Refrigerate until set, 2 to 4 hours.
4. Using foil as handles, lift caramel from dish.  Remove foil, and place caramel on a cutting board.  Before cutting, let caramel return to room temperature.  Cut into 1-inch squares.  Wrap individually in wax paper or cello wrap if not serving immediately.

Caramels with almonds

Caramels with almonds and milk chocolate

Caramels with almonds and dark chocolate


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! If your comment is more of a question about something you are cooking RIGHT NOW, please email me the question in addition to posting it here. I check my email more frequently than I check my blog comments. :)
mckellysu@gmail.com

01 09