Sunday, April 24, 2011

Cocoa Whipped Cream Cupcakes



These cupcakes were for Easter, for my mother-in-law who gave up chocolate for Lent.  She was unable to enjoy the birthday cake version for her son, so being the awesome daughter-in-law that I am, I made these with her in mind.  I enjoyed a couple of them too.
I've been in love with this cocoa whipped cream since maybe high school, when I cut the recipe from the  box of Nestle cocoa powder.  I still have that piece of cardboard, and now I have the recipe here on the web.  There's just something magical about the deep cocoa flavor in a slightly sweet whipped cream.  It makes the chocolate cake taste lighter, and therefore less fattening.  The chocolate truffle (really ganache) is a recent addition to this pairing of chocolate cake and cocoa whipped cream, so now I think they will come as a trio.  One of the best ways I can think of to satisfy a chocolate craving.

Cocoa Whipped Cream Cupcakes

Ingredients
  • 1 box worth (24 cupcakes) of devil's food cupcakes baked according to package instructions-OR-make your own from scratch if that's what you're into.
  • Chocolate Truffle Topping (see below)
  • Cocoa Whipped Cream (see below)
Chocolate Truffle Topping
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 T unsalted butter
  • 1/2 pound good semisweet chocolate (I prefer Dove chocolate) finely chopped
In a heavy saucepan, bring cream to a boil.  Remove from heat.  Stir in butter until it melts.  Stir in chocolate until all is melted.  Set aside to cool while you whip the cocoa whipped cream.  
* What you don't use for the cupcakes, pour into a clean bowl and refrigerate until firm.  Scoop out about a tablespoon and roll into a ball.  Roll in cocoa powder.

Cocoa Whipped Cream
  • ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • ¼ cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons hot water
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
In a small mixer bowl, mix cocoa and sugar.  Stir in hot water until a smooth paste forms.  Add cream.  Beat just until firm peaks form.  Do not over beat.
Makes about 2 cups
(From Nestle Cocoa box)

Assembly of the Cupcakes
When truffle topping is relatively cool, dip the top of each cupcake and let drip; then turn over and set aside.
Place cocoa whipped cream into a piping bag (a.k.a. large Ziploc bag with large star tip--if this is too much trouble, just cut one corner off and it just won't look as fancy).  Pipe whipped cream into stars around the edge of each cupcake.  Then spoon about one half to one teaspoon of truffle into the center.  Refrigerate about one hour before serving.
Enjoy the remaining cocoa whipped cream with coffee or just out of a spoon.  You will also have extra truffle topping that you should refrigerate and eat when no one is looking. 
Makes 24 cupcakes.



1 comment:

  1. Those are some very pretty cupcakes. The chocolate and icing on top almost look like blooming flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! If your comment is more of a question about something you are cooking RIGHT NOW, please email me the question in addition to posting it here. I check my email more frequently than I check my blog comments. :)
mckellysu@gmail.com

01 09