Thursday, September 8, 2011

Fried Rice

Fried Rice with BACON!


So, I'm half Chinese and I don't like Chinese food.  I like certain Chinese foods if I make them, and I think that's just the control freak in me showing herself.  Egg rolls and fried rice are the two Chinese foods I love.  My white mother made this yummy fried rice all the time, and I think I like it because it's got what I would consider a western twist on it: bacon.  The more bacon on top the better.  My son will eat the bacon first, and then the rest.  Come to think of it, I might have done that as a kid too.
This is a good recipe to use leftover sticky rice.  Or if you have a pound of bacon burning a hole in your fridge.  It's just good.  Try it.


Fried Rice


Ingredients:
  • 4 cups cooked & cooled rice (approx.)
  • 1/2 to 1 pound of bacon (depending on how meaty you want your rice)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
  • 2-3 green onions, sliced
Instructions:
Cut raw bacon into 1/2 inch pieces.  Fry bacon bits in a large frying pan with relatively high sides on medium high heat, until as crisp as you like your bacon.  Remove bacon bits with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel lined plate.  Drain all but about 2-3 tablespoons of the bacon drippings from the pan.  


Turn heat to medium and put rice in pan, breaking up any big chunks.  Stir to mix rice into the bacon grease.  While rice heats up, whisk the egg and soy sauce in a small bowl and then stir into the frying rice.  Fry & stir until you can no longer see any shiny egg.  Turn heat to low, and cover while you prepare the carrots and green onions.


Microwave the carrots in a covered microwavable dish with about a tablespoon of water for about 1 minute.  Stir carrots into the rice.  


Top rice with bacon bits and green onions.  Serve hot.


Makes about four servings.



3 comments:

  1. this is how we made "chinese fried rice." the more bacon, the better. i feel the need to run to the store. yum!! warzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, more bacon! I love your comments, Warzy. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Thank you for sharing this recipe. I love fried rice and my absolute fave meat for anything is bacon. I think when using bacon for any recipe/ meal, you can never have tho much bacon! LOL. Can't wait to try this...

    ReplyDelete

Hello! If your comment is more of a question about something you are cooking RIGHT NOW, please email me the question in addition to posting it here. I check my email more frequently than I check my blog comments. :)
mckellysu@gmail.com

01 09