Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Max's Favorite Potatoes/Fried Baked Potatoes

Fried Baked Potatoes

Ah, Max.  He's my older of two sons, and he's a quirky bird.  He's a big fan of most fried potato foods: french fries, potato chips, potato pancakes, tater tots, etc.  So, when I introduced him to a fried baked potato, he was in fried potato nirvana.  A couple of months ago he even told me, as he picked up one of these little fried potatoes, "Mom, this is MY comfort food."  Gosh, I love that kid.
My mom used to cut up day-old baked potatoes and fry them in a little bit of oil in her trusty cast-iron skillet.  I tried that, but there were too many little potato pieces that would stick to the bottom, and that not only made the pan hard to clean, but then I didn't get to eat all that brown crispy potato goodness that was stuck to the pan.  So, why not just fill up the pan with more oil and fry them like french fries?  Yeah, why NOT?  So, that's what I did.  Mind you, I only do this occasionally because it just seems sort of wrong.  Baking a potato and then cutting it up and deep frying it, but it makes the potato so crisp and succulent.  They sort of remind me of those potato skin appetizers we would order at Black Angus.  Do they even sell those any more?
So, anyway, I'm making these for Max tonight while my little eating buddy Ezra and I enjoy some of our favorite pasta.

Max's Favorite Potatoes/Fried Baked Potatoes

Ingredients:
  • 1 or more baked potatoes, fresh or day old
  • canola oil for frying
  • salt to taste
Instructions:
If you don't quite know how to bake a potato, you just preheat an oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Scrub potatoes (any kind will do) and cut off a little bit of each end (like 1/8 inch) and carefully pierce each potato about 5-8 times with a sharp knife.  Bake at 400 degrees for about an hour, or until potatoes just yield when squeezed with an oven-mitted hand.  Then remove from the oven.

If you opt for fresh baked potatoes, be careful when cutting them so you don't get burned and so you don't crush them.  Cut potatoes into 1-inch chunks.

Fill a frying pan with about 3/4 to 1 inch of canola oil and turn heat to medium-high.  Put one potato chunk in the pan.*  When it starts bubbling and frying, carefully slide in the rest of the potato chunks.  I use my grease screen to help me with this by putting the potatoes on the screen and shimmying the potatoes into the oil (see video below).  Make sure potatoes are evenly distributed in the pan.

Allow the potatoes to cook until deep golden brown, turning only occasionally and gently at that.  Once they reach the desired color, remove to a paper towel-lined plate and salt to taste.

Makes 1 to infinity servings.

*When this potato starts bubbling,
the oil is ready for the rest of the potatoes.


11 comments:

  1. I used to work in a restaurant. We cut leftover baked potatoes into wedges and dredged them in the same flour mixture that we used for fried chicken. They were then deep fried. We called them potato logs. I have also seen them called jojo potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I think I've eaten jojo potatoes. They're delicious. Do you know what the flour mixture was seasoned with? I'll have to try that next time. :) Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
    2. how do you get the flour to stick to the potato

      Delete
  2. Seasoning for Jojo potatoes is a personal preference. I like to use lowrys seasoning, salt, a little pepper, and some Garlic powder. This idea is a wonderful one. I usually just use left over bakers for hashbrowns. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a picture of the frying proces? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have one, but I could put one up the next time I make these. It's nothing fancy. I have a crummy high-rimmed saute pan I use to fry in. I'll try to make these this weekend so I can either take a pic or post a short video. :)

      Delete
    2. Okay, Karoline. I finally got around to videoing a little bit of the frying process. Please let me know if that gives you the idea that you needed.

      Delete
    3. That's just perfect! Thank you.. they are SOOO good!

      Delete
    4. Excellent! Thanks for letting me know. :)

      Delete
  4. Do you have a picture of the frying proces? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's perfect! Thank you! They are SOOO good! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! If your comment is more of a question about something you are cooking RIGHT NOW, please email me the question in addition to posting it here. I check my email more frequently than I check my blog comments. :)
mckellysu@gmail.com

01 09