Thursday, December 13, 2012

Gluten Free Cheese "Crackers"

Gluten Free Cheese "Crackers"
as tasty as the original

I've had a couple of jars of Kraft Old English Cheese Spread burning a hole in my cupboard since before Thanksgiving. It was around that time that I decided to force my older son into a very gluten-limited existence in the hope of clearing his brain/emotional fog (it's been working, by the way), and now that I've found Better Batter Gluten Free Flour, I thought I'd try it in my Cheese Crackers ala Marilyn recipe. The results: they taste FABULOUS. Max, though, who normally likes the cheese crackers, didn't really care for them. That's okay, because Ezra and I gobbled them up through the course of the day. I had to microwave mine for a few seconds, but, mmmm...mmmm...mmmm. They were salty, chewy, cheesy, crisp around the edges--PERFECT. They spread a little more than the original, but that may have been due to me inadvertently adding a little too much butter. I do that sometimes. Anyway, another gluten free success, even though my gluten free buddy didn't want to eat them.
I'm going to have to do some regular recipes here soon. I seem to be on an extended gluten free kick here.

Gluten Free Cheese "Crackers"

Ingredients:
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick foil. (I think they can also be baked on an ungreased cookie sheet, but it's been a long time since I've done it that way.)
In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix the cheese spread, softened butter, and salt with a spoon.
Stir in flour until incorporated.
Scoop about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the dough and roll it into a ball.  Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
Bake at 400 degrees for 11-12 minutes, or until edges are browned and cheese crackers are puffed and starting to brown on top.  Remove to a plate and allow to cool for a couple of minutes before attempting to eat.
Makes about 18 cheese crackers, depending on how big you make them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! If your comment is more of a question about something you are cooking RIGHT NOW, please email me the question in addition to posting it here. I check my email more frequently than I check my blog comments. :)
mckellysu@gmail.com

01 09