Sunday, January 20, 2013

Chile Colorado Quesadilla

Chile Colorado Quesadilla
Last night we had chile colorado burritos for dinner. I see so many people pinning it on Pinterest and I realized that I hadn't made it in a while, so that's what we had--Dutch oven style. We had a ton leftover because I used the whole 4 pound package of meat from Sam's Club (normally I only use half). So for lunch today I didn't feel like having a burrito and going to the trouble of broiling the cheese on top and all that. I thought I'd try a quesadilla using one of my homemade tortillas, and I figured I'd make the quesadilla like my mom used to--with butter.  Mmmmm... If you decide to make this, though, feel free to omit the butter step. It's just decadent and it makes the quesadilla a little crisper and buttery. 
Overall, I'd say this is a good way to enjoy your leftover chile colorado meat, especially if you were left with very little of the sauce to spoon over the top. If you've already tried the chile colorado, then you can pretty much guess how this tastes. It's just a good way to enjoy the leftovers. Since I only made one for myself (that I ended up sharing with my husband), that's the recipe you see below. It's easily doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc.

Chile Colorado Quesadilla

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup leftover chile colorado meat
  • 1 large flour tortilla
  • 1teaspoon softened butter (optional)
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • sliced green onions as an optional garnish
Instructions:
Place cold chile colorado meat in a microwave proof bowl, cover, and microwave on high for 40-50 seconds. Stir and break up large chunks into smaller ones, or sort of shred the meat.
Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, spread butter all over one side of the tortilla. Place tortilla buttered side down onto the hot skillet. 
Spread cheese over one half of the tortilla in the pan and fold the naked half over onto the cheesy half. Cook on one side for about 2 minutes and then use a spatula to flip it, and cook for about 2 minutes on the other side, or until it starts to brown and cheese starts to melt.
Carefully (with tongs if you have to) open up the quesadilla. The melted cheese should be on both sides now. Spread meat evenly over one half of the quesadilla and then fold back into position. 
Cook another minute or so on each side, or until it's as brown as you like it.
Remove with a spatula to a cutting surface and cut into thirds or fourths. Sprinkle with chopped green onions, if desired. Serve hot.

Makes 1 serving


3 comments:

  1. gonna try this - looks deliceous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, can't wait to try this & your burritos...Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These & the burritos look great..can't wait to try them..thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

Hello! If your comment is more of a question about something you are cooking RIGHT NOW, please email me the question in addition to posting it here. I check my email more frequently than I check my blog comments. :)
mckellysu@gmail.com

01 09